Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past month, you’ve undoubtedly heard about Pokémon Go, the augmented reality version of the popular Pokémon game. Maybe your kids are obsessed with it. Maybe it has helped you realize your childhood dream of becoming a real Pokémon trainer. Or, maybe you can’t stand how many people are walking around looking at their phones. But, if you are incorporating this game into your life, chances are it is changing your exercise levels. Here, I want to talk about some of the exercise benefits of playing Pokémon Go and how you can get the most out of this game.
Fitness and the App
Pokémon Go is a phone app based on the Pokémon TV show and video game. It uses your phone’s GPS to allow you to catch Pokémon as you walk around in the real world. For many, the game’s use of nostalgia and technology make it addictive. Unlike many other video games, you can only succeed at Pokémon Go by exploring your real life surroundings, searching for Pokémon. Many players have therefore seen an increase in their exercise patterns. If you play the game, or are interested in playing, here are a few ways that you can make the most of it:
- Play with your kids. If your children are interested in Pokémon Go, this could be a great bonding opportunity. Chances are, your children will be excited to show you how to play and play the game with you. You can spend time together going on walks and catching Pokémon together.
- Play during your lunch break. Take advantage of the nice weather and break up your work day by spending a few minutes playing in the middle of the day. This will be a nice break from work and an opportunity to get moving in the middle of the day.
- Walk instead of driving. One of my friends used to drive to work every day. Now, he spends half an hour walking to work so that he can play the game. While this might not be a possibility for everyone, walking to work, the grocery store, or to a friend’s house is a great way to get exercise and play the game.
Beware of these Hazards
While this is a fun game that can help you get more exercise, there are some precautions that you should take if you are going to play this game. They include:
- Being aware of your surroundings. It is easy to get caught up in this game and not pay attention to where you are going. Make sure that you do not walk into oncoming traffic or into other people while playing Pokémon Go in crowded places.
- Not playing while driving. There have already been car accidents caused by drivers who have been distracted while playing this game. It might seem silly, but this game can be very distracting. Avoid playing while driving.
- Setting limits. Setting aside family time to play the game together or playing with your friends is a great idea. But, you should play this game in moderation.
Pokémon Go could be the first of many popular games that encourage exercise. Especially in the summer months, taking advantage of this game can help you stay active. We’d love to hear about your experience with Pokémon Go! Share your story with us on Facebook.